Monday, October 1, 2007

Early to rise

Today is only the first day of October, but I'm going to predict that this month's resolution ("Move the alarm clock across the bedroom, wake up 45 minutes early and have coffee together before work every weekday") will be my favorite yet. It's possible thanks to a couple of smaller feats, namely a) Matt's acquiring a taste for coffee and b) moving our alarm clock across the room, where it's out of reach from the bed. Snoozing is such a temptation.

Since the nights have started getting cool we've been sleeping with the windows open -- a pure joy of my life, by the way -- and the brisk air and rising sun helped wake us up this morning.

This morning Matt pulled on some pajama pants, I threw on a robe and we stumbled into the kitchen for coffee. While it was brewing we both did the delete-overnight-junk-email thing. I decided not to venture outside for the newspaper since I was wearing a robe and had not brushed my teeth. Our neighborhood is full of retirees with small dogs, and early morning is the time I'd be most likely to get trapped in a conversation. (That came out wrong. I just mean I'd prefer to run into people when I'm fully clothed and smell good.)

So I sat and flipped through morning news shows (awful across the board) while Matt perfected his fantasty football team. We just chilled and chatted for about 45 minutes, then leisurely went to take showers and head to work, and I still made it to the office 15 minutes earlier than usual, even though I was awake in the shower.

The new routine is not really about getting in extra quality time as a couple (if I had to single out one way in which Matt and I are completely spoiled, I'd probably say it's by the amount of time we get to spend together). It's more about just shaking the cobwebs out of our heads before starting the work day.

Yesterday Katie asked me if I wanted to start meeting her to run at 6 a.m. once a week. Between both of our crazy schedules and her wedding planning, we hardly see each other anymore. I told her to give me a week of the October resolution first, so I can ease into these early mornings. Soon, I think I'm going to like them.

No comments: