Sunday, September 23, 2007

A taste acquired

I can't remember whether I've blogged about this already -- I know I've discussed it with those of you who see me face to face, so sorry for being repetitive -- but Matt has gotten over the hump in his quest to acquire a taste for coffee.

I knew he was capable -- if you can learn to love beer, you CAN learn to love coffee -- but as long as I've known him he's never wanted to try to like it. That started to change last winter when he began to join us when whoever was in the office would occasionally walk to the coffee shop one block down for a mid-morning break and caffeine boost.

At first he ordered only mocha lattes, then he progressed to taking sips of my regular coffee (improved with cream and sugar). Ironically, it was in 115-degree Phoenix that we had morning coffee together for the first time. (There was an Einstein Bros. Bagels in our hotel lobby, and its coffee was outstanding.)

Every morning at the beach last week we each had a cup of coffee. We got home from that trip to find that it had become autumn in our absence, and Kaitlin had brought me some delicious coffee from Disney World, so we drank that after dinner every night this week.

This afternoon we bought a coffee-bean grinder and two bags of whole-bean coffee, then came home and experimented. Fun times.

The reason I'm so excited about this, besides the fact that it's no fun to drink alone, is that I've always envisioned that when Matt and I are old and retired and have a dozen or so grandchildren scattered about, we will begin our days by leisurely reading the newspaper together while sharing multiple cups of coffee. I don't know why, but coffee seems much better suited to that scenario than hot chocolate does.

An October resolution is brewing -- so to speak. (That one's for you, Dad.) Details to follow in a week.

1 comment:

Libba Lemon said...

what kinds of coffee did you pick?

one of the neighbor kids was selling dunkin donuts coffee for school recently & we bought a bag & it is shockingly really, really tasty.

i'm so exited that matthew has finally come around. this reminds me of when you learned to like (well, tolerate) beer.

before long you'll be like us - brewing 12 cups every morning!