Monday, October 1, 2007

Free is good

Over the weekend Matt and I went shopping with gift cards, which is my favorite way to shop. It seems like people usually give gift cards kind of apologetically, as if they think they're a sort of second-rate present, but I LOVE getting them.

Especially when they're to unexpected places. Target is great, but I'm just going to spend it on toilet paper and napkins. The best gift cards I've gotten recently were to Maddi's Gallery in Charlotte (thanks, Lib!) and to a local used bookstore (thanks, Mom and Dad!). I'm also a big fan of gift cards for services, such as a pedicure, massage or golf lessons -- things you might feel guilty splurging on otherwise.

Anyway, about six months ago Matt and I went to a homebuilders association meeting that was pure torture until the end, when in the raffle I won a $50 gift card to a great little place called Kitchen Essence.

Saturday we went in determined to spend the card and we came out with $50.16 worth of things I'm really excited about but wouldn't have paid for out of my pocket: great-smelling, overpriced countertop cleaner; great-smelling, overpriced linen spray; four pretty, overpriced pint glasses; and a little lantern.

Then last night we had dinner at Elliott's, where we'd never eaten. A while back some buyers had given me a gift certificate to there and I thought I'd seen in the paper that Sunday diners got a free glass of wine -- although that was incorrect -- and that's why we decided to go last night.

It was good but not as good as its reputation. However, it turned out that our waiter was a guy we know (he used to be married to Matt's former step-sister) so he hooked us up with a free dessert.

Waiter to Matt: Did I hear you say today's your birthday?
Matt: No.
Waiter: Your birthday's today, right?
Matt: Uh ...
Waiter: You really want this cake, man.
Matt: (Laughs)
Waiter: Do you like chocolate?

It was exquisite.

No comments: