Saturday, September 8, 2007

Editing and engagement

Three posts in one day! You can tell I've been in a state of blogging deprivation.

This week I started doing freelance editing for a smallish magazine. It's a great setup because a) I do everything from home, on my schedule, b) I've been hankerin' to get back to my journalism roots and c) getting paid for what you love to do is a wonderful thing. The timing is excellent since real estate usually slows down in the fall and winter.

In the past three years, which is how long it's been since I edited professionally, the AP Stylebook has gone online, which might not seem like a big deal to you but is heaven for me.

The only downside to this deal is I have to do some of the editing in Adobe Acrobat, which is definitely not a true editing program so it's something of a pain in my butt. Other articles come to me via Word, which is fine. But I'll always miss Quark.

If all goes well I'm hoping I'll be able to do some freelance writing for this magazine too, depending on what they would pay. I haven't talked to the editor about it yet but I think he'd be open to the idea. Most of their articles are written by freelancers.

P.S. Katie just called -- she and Michael are engaged! Congratulations!


No comments: