Monday, October 17, 2011

Classics

I'm not feeling very bloggishly inspired tonight. I've had a sore throat for a couple of days and didn't get good sleep last night and I'm ready for bed except that Matt's about to make us milkshakes. Worth staying up for, trust me.

I finally made some progress on "Jane Eyre" (for book club) during naptime today and so far I'm not overly impressed. I will finish it, and I'm hopeful it will improve -- after all, most classics are classics for a reason.

There are plenty of exceptions, of course. I consider "Moby Dick" one of the worst books I've ever tried to read. Maybe it's just way, way over my head, but I couldn't even make it through the movie. At book club last month Heather hilariously described attending a college theater production of it. Can you even imagine? (She walked out.)

As much as I loved "Pride and Prejudice" when I finally read it last year, I'm thinking I should read "Sense and Sensibility." On maybe our first official date, Matt and I saw that movie. We talked through the whole thing and I've always thought it was because the movie was just that bad. In retrospect, maybe the company was just that good.

Besides, when is a movie ever as good as the book? I'm sure there are some examples, but right now I can't think of any. Nominations?

Interesting. I just reread a blog post I wrote when I was less than halfway through "Pride and Prejudice," and my take on it at that point was "I don't think I missed much" (not reading it in high school). So maybe "Jane Eyre" will win me over yet.

No comments: