Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Game night

Monday night Amanda and Bri came over for what I think may have been Bri's game-night debut. For purely selfish reasons, I love Amanda's temporarily revised and flexible schedule: She doesn't have to wake up early for work, so she can stay up late and not even miss out on Stephen time (he's working nights for the next couple of months).

When we were making plans for Monday the last thing I said to Amanda was "Do NOT let me forget to take pictures of Bri tonight!" Because I STILL have not taken any pictures since the day she was born. Even though Dad takes enough for all of us (click here and here and here for the most recent Briful posts), and even Amanda got around to posting a batch recently, I would like some of my own.

(For the record, this is one of my favorites so far. Sorry it's so small; I just pulled it off of Amanda's blog.)Anyway, right after saying that to Amanda I hung up the phone and walked out of the office, leaving my camera in a desk drawer. Naturally. So I don't have photographic evidence, but we had a great time hanging out with them and then playing Trivial Pursuit. Thank you for coming over, Talberts!

Work (real estate) has been all over the place lately and if my moods relied on it I'd be officially manic-depressive by now. Basically, my stay-sane strategy is to assume every deal is going to fall apart for one reason or another, and if occasionally one slips through the cracks and closes, so much the better.

I do have one freelance editing proposition that seems promising but is by no means a sure thing. It'll be interesting to see if and how that pans out.

Lauren G. stopped by the office this morning and, seeing my breakfast (a medium-size mixing bowl of strawberries and whipped cream), suggested I blog about what seems to have become a strawberry habit. I have been buying a HUGE basket of strawberries at the farmer's market three times a week for several weeks now.

At $9 per basket, that's a staggering $100-plus a month -- more than double our water, sewer and phone bills combined. But they are SO good, and they won't last forever -- probably just a couple more weeks. Props to Matt for overlooking this budget-killer (he loves them too).

2 comments:

Ally said...

I'm buying strawberries at least twice a week too! So delicious! My mom grows them, but I can't go home every other day....But I buy them much more cheaply at the Chattanooga Market or grocery store. I love them with Cool Whip but have been eating them plain.

Jennifer Kirby said...

Yum. Someday I'm going to learn how to grow strawberries (and blueberries and blackberries).

I don't know exactly how big the $9 basket is (possibly three quarts?), but based on how many portions I get out of each one, I'm pretty sure it's a better deal than the grocery stores around here. Definitely more delicious, anyway.