Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mishmash

1. Mom gave me a really cute purse for my birthday. She had bought it for me on our New York trip and managed to get it from Chinatown to our hotel and all the way back home without me noticing, but then she stuck it in her closet and forgot about it. A couple of weeks after my birthday she remembered it, found it and gave it to me.

I took it with me to Maine, where a part of the clasp fell off. Last week I finally got around to going to Lowe's for a replacement nut. Now the purse is functional again. Don't you love it? It's perfect for fall, too. 2. I have firepit envy from Wendi and Cory's party Saturday night. It was warm, it was cozy, it was conducive to conversation, and it made my hair smell like a wood fire (that's a good thing) until the next day.

3. I did end up going to see the induction of Lee Smith and two others into the N.C. Literary Hall of Fame on Sunday, and I am so glad I did. She and her family actually sat in the row right in front of me. Jill McCorkle, another good writer, who happened to be in the first creative-writing class Lee Smith ever taught, read from "Fair and Tender Ladies," so that was an extra treat. Fred Chappell also spoke, and Doris Betts was there. North Carolina is blessed with an abundance of amazing writers.
4. I have now won three straight weeks in fantasy football! Now that I've figured out what I'm doing and have a good quarterback I want to play against Matt again. He beat me bad the first time.

5. CrossFit is killing my back. I am skipping weight days until I can pick up a laundry basket without pain.

6. I think Carrie's going to have the baby any day and I CAN'T WAIT.

7. I had lunch with Melissa yesterday and it makes me sad that she is not available to be friends with everyone in the world. She is so uniquely wonderful.
That is all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet thing to say about your friend Melissa!