Friday, May 30, 2008


I'm so sleepy and there's no good reason why. This morning began with a coffee date with Mom, then as soon as I got to the office I found out that yet another "sure thing" deal had fallen through -- I won't bore you with the details, but am I cursed or something? I spent a few minutes going through some stuff of Dad's for a profile the newspaper is going to do on him and was blown away all over again by what amazing teacher he is. What makes me happy is that everyone who knows him recognizes it.

I wasn't hungry because I'd eaten a bagel with Mom, but I went on a brunch date with Matt. We were going to Ironwood Cafe with Meg and Drew and Lauren R. for the early bird special for dinner -- meaning we were going to eat dinner at 5:30 p.m. Usually at 5:30 p.m. we're leaving work, about to head to the gym or go for a run, after which we'll stop by the grocery store, come home and cook, shower while it's cooking and then eat. So Matt wanted to eat an early lunch in preparation for our atypically early dinner.

After brunch, since pretty much everything I'm working on real-estate wise is crumbling like the teeth in Matt's dreams, I went to Panera and spent the afternoon working on a story for the magazine. This one is about a man who happens to be local who's been nominated to the Olympic Hall of Fame. Just because he's local doesn't mean I can get an interview with him. I've been phone stalking him for a month now. I decided I would go ahead and do as much as I could without talking to him, and then finish the story after (if) I get an interview. I got it done except for about 300 words.

It was a really relaxing afternoon. I drank a lot of Cherry Coke and kept having to use the bathroom. Every time I had a mini-crisis about whether it would be OK to leave my purse and laptop on the chair. Of course I had to leave the laptop because it would have looked embarassingly paranoid to load it all up every time, but I took my purse. I think this stems from the same urge that forces me to lock my car doors when I'm getting gas and run in for a drink.

Anyway, we did go to dinner and it was great, the company more so than the food, which was not Ironwood at its best. Then we watched a funny British movie that I can't remember the name of (it was about a funeral). Now I am about to crash. If this post reads like a delirious person wrote it, you know why.

I have to show two houses tomorrow afternoon and then we're going to Raleigh for some Hemphill love. Can't wait!

P.S. Lauren R., this post should go a long way toward convincing you that you can have a blog without having anything to write about!

1 comment:

Kaitlin said...

Oh my goodness, I always have the mini crisis with pocketbook/laptop, etc when I'm alone in a coffee shop!! I, however, bring my laptop because I feel that if it did get stolen it would be one of those well duh kind of things. I also always lock my car even when I'm just going in and out of the post office. (However, that I credit to a New York thing.)