Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dreams and socks and sore throats

For two days I have had one of those sore throats that make you feel like you cannot drink enough water, no matter how much you throw down. I bet I drank 10 bottles of water plus three cans of Coke and a cup of coffee yesterday, but I still felt and feel so thirsty.

Kate and I had the best run yesterday. Running on a trail while carrying on an animated conversation is such a contrast to running on a treadmill while listening to your iPod, not that there's anything wrong with that. My lungs got a better-than-usual workout yesterday, for sure.

My gym bag was stuffed with workout clothes, but two essentials, a short-sleeved T-shirt and socks, were nowhere to be found so I had to run in the tank top I had worn as a bottom layer to work and no socks. It totally brought me back to high school track, when I steadfastly refused to wear socks. The smell of my running shoes was wretched from 1993-1997 but for some reason I just didn't want to wear socks. I think I didn't like how thick they were (I still prefer really thin socks) and also when I was 15 not having a weird tan line was a matter of high importance.

(gear shift)

My dreams are usually benign and not very notable, but lately a lot of them have included some sort of tight space that I'm supposed to squeeze myself into. Usually there will be a really cramped spiral staircase or tunnel I need to maneuver and it seems like there's just no way, but I know I have to try. Last night I dreamed there was a really narrow passageway I had to squeeze through to get to my bedroom.

In real life, very tight, enclosed spaces are one of the things that freak me out. For example, while I'm perfectly fine driving through a tunnel, I would not be OK with crawling through one that touched my body on all sides, unless my legs or my arms were outside of the tunnel at all times.

Any dream interpreters out there?

No comments: