Saturday, November 26, 2011

Thursday

It's been a lovely week. Thanksgiving got spread out for us this year, with three separate events with different segments of our families -- Sunday, Wednesday and then Thursday. I am all in favor of extending celebrations. We got to really enjoy being at each place, rather than watching the clock and rushing to the next stop. Plus, stuffing your face once a day for three days is much more pleasant than stuffing your face three times in one day.

I spent all of Thursday evening reading this month's book-club book, "The Man Who Was Thursday," by G.K. Chesterton. (Be careful reading reviews of this book -- spoilers are rampant.) It is brilliant -- smart and witty and thrilling. A few chapters in I already was thinking it was one of the best books I'd ever read, and it only got better. It's nothing I would have picked up on my own, so I'm really glad I was pushed into it. I'm also glad I had to buy it (none of the libraries had it) because I will be reading it again, maybe even before book club. It will definitely make for interesting discussion; I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.

Yesterday morning Mom and Dad kept the kids and I got to go running with Matt for the first time since I don't even know when. It was an especially nice treat because he was supposed to have to work that morning but at the last minute that got canceled. The weather could not have been more perfect. We ran his usual route, a trail from our house to the reservoir and back.

Last night we went to Sallie and Steven's, near Greensboro, where we also got to see Todd and Rhonda for, I think, the first time since last Thanksgiving, which is crazy. It's well-documented that I love that crowd, in any combination.

Today we got our Christmas tree and decorated the house, all four of us napped for a couple of luxurious hours, Evan got the hang of climbing down the stairs, and Matt made his amazing chili for dinner. And there's still one more day before Monday. I hope you've had a great Thanksgiving break, too. I love this time of year!

No comments: