Sunday, November 13, 2011

Old news

The stack of unread magazines on our end table finally reached a tipping point and I have devoted several consecutive naptimes to dutifully reading them so I can get rid of them. Most of these are Times and Newsweeks that go back as far as August -- yes -- so most of the info was dated. It was somewhat jarring, for example, to read commentary on Andy Rooney's retirement (which I did know about) and then, minutes later, on his death (which I did not).

I don't visit online news sites, I don't listen to talk radio, we get only the Sunday newspaper, and I watch the news on TV only while on the treadmill at the gym. Matt, actually, is my primary source of news. Almost every day he emails me an article or two that he wants to discuss or thinks I'll find interesting or intends to rub in my face (e.g., anything involving John Edwards -- whom I have neither supported nor defended for YEARS now). Anyway.

All of this makes me sound like a woefully uninformed citizen, which I am, and I'm tempted to delete the whole previous paragraph, but I won't. It is what it is -- but this is why I need to at least stay current on the newsmagazines. Or, at the very least, Time. I could do without Newsweek, but it was free, so I won't cancel it yet.

No comments: