Saturday, January 8, 2011

We sleep

Evan celebrated turning nine weeks old by sleeping six straight hours last night, from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. (Then he was up at 4:30 and 5:30 and 7, but it's progress nonetheless.) His previous record was about four hours, with one or two or occasionally three at a time being much more typical, so to say Matt and I welcomed this extra sleep would be a vast understatement. I won't say I feel like a new woman today, but things do seem a little less foggy and blurred than they have lately.

Matt and I have taken to starting the night sleeping in the bonus room because Evan is such a light sleeper that no matter how quiet we are, he wakes up when we're getting ready for bed. (His bedroom is essentially our bedroom closet so there's not a lot of room for error as far as noise.) Then when he wakes up to eat the first time, we move downstairs for the rest of the night. It's not ideal, but that way we get at least a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep.

I cannot believe it turns out Claire was such a naturally great sleeper and I took it for granted. When she was 10 weeks old she was sleeping all the way through the night, waking up around 6 a.m. to each and then going back to sleep. I don't have a baby book or anything but I remember this because she was 10 weeks old when we left her with Mom and Dad for the weekend to attend Todd and Rhonda's wedding. I would not dream of asking anyone else to deal with Evan overnight at this point. (Although I have already asked Mom and Dad to keep him in June for Kate and Vinny's wedding in Vermont. Yay!)

I've said a hundred times that I can't wait until he's old enough for crying it out -- so soothing himself back to sleep will be his responsibility, not mine. I know people have very strong opinions about sleep training but personally until he's three or four months old I want to respond to him quickly when he cries. But a day is coming ...

He had his two-month appointment on Thursday and everything looks good. He weighs 11 pounds 14 ounces, which I think is 8 ounces more than Claire was at two months. The doctor did prescribe him Zantac because from my description of Evan's spit-up patterns he thinks he might have acid reflux. I don't know what's considered normal, but it definitely seems like Evan spits up excessively.

I'm hoping if that is the problem, the medicine will help more of his food stay down and then he'll need to eat less often during the night. Or maybe he just likes my company. Luckily for him and for us, he is a total sweetheart when he's awake, generous with the smiles and cooing up a storm.

2 comments:

sonya said...

did you try block feeding yet? that helped decrease spit up a little.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! (Okay, partially because you mention heading to Vermont in June.) But I love reading about the kids and your life as a new family. how lovely. <3