Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day

If I lived alone, I think I'd be one of those people who forget to eat and stay up half the night. Don't get me wrong, eating and sleeping are two of my favorite things. But when it's time to do them, I'm usually otherwise occupied and postpone getting up.

I just spent all morning working on a story and for the last hour and a half my hunger's been building and now I'm starving but even after I'd turned in the story I checked Facebook before going in to make lunch. What is up with that?

It is the most perfect day to sit out on the porch -- warm and windy. Hypothetically, if your backyard neighbors moved out of their house and their flowery bushes were blooming like mad, would you consider taking a few blooms for yourself?

On the one hand, if I were to get caught I'd feel guilty (or maybe just stupid). On the other hand, the bushes are so overflowing that a few snips of my scissors would never be noticed. Thoughts? (I've already filled two Mason jars, but I'm curious what you think.)

Today is May Day, by the way (naturally, I forgot to make "rabbit" my first word of the month), and I read about a May Day tradition of leaving flowers on your neighbors' front stoops, ringing the doorbell and running off. I love that idea and keep thinking I'll do it this afternoon (possibly with aforementioned flowers and Mason jars, but without running off) but if I don't do it soon I won't get around to it.

May is my favorite month. I love that it ushers in summer, I love that we get to celebrate our anniversary, I love that Memorial Day always guarantees at least one long weekend off of work. Sadly, we're missing out on the annual May Outer Banks trip this year (it's only five or six weeks before Claire's due date, and Duck, while beautiful, is not somewhere I'd want to be should I go into pre-term labor). However, our fast-approaching Bald Head Island trip goes a long way toward making up for that!

Who can I persuade to join me for First Friday tonight?

No comments: