Sunday, July 20, 2008

My eyes are burning ...

... Not from lack of sleep -- I'm all caught up, thanks to a lazy weekend -- but from my first time using this oven's self-cleaning feature. Despite the burn, and the smell, I'd like to go on record as saying how very grateful I am for self-cleaning ovens. In fact, I don't think ovens should be sold without this crucial mechanism.

We got to turn off the AC, open all the windows and turn on all the ceiling fans thanks to the smothering smell and Matt's fear of the smoke alarms' being triggered. I do love open windows in the summertime.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. We got to catch up some with Grace and Dre and their beautiful baby, Elizabeth, Friday and today; they live close to Charlotte but were in town this weekend. And yesterday we got together with Matt's cousins Amber and April and their families at Matt's Gran's house. That was a really good time with some seriously cute kids. If we all lived in the same town, I think we'd hang out a lot, but as it is, I'm glad we at least get to see them once a year or so. Saturday night we went to dinner with Carrie and Jacob and Stephen and Lauren G., then for a couple of drinks at the Jefferson Inn.

Lauren and I were the only two people at a four-person table when an older woman came over and said she was going to have a seat if we didn't mind, which we didn't. She sat there smoking and minding her own business and we didn't think anything of it (the place was crowded and there were no more empty tables).

Then she started talking to herself and laughing hysterically for no discernible reason. Lauren and I tried to maintain our conversation but it was impossible because we were trying to observe the woman without being too obvious, which is easier said than done from a distance of two feet. Then one of the bartenders told Matt and Stephen she is a regular there, and apparently she's certifiably crazy. She seemed to be having a good time, though.

3 comments:

Lauren Greaves said...

that woman was sooo funny!

Jodi Ohl said...

I would have loved to have been there to see the whole event with your mystery lady unfold! I can just imagine trying to hold a conversation and a straight face while she entertained herself, oblivious to everyone else in the world :)

To reply to the comment you left, I DO have several of my pieces at Swank!! So glad you were able to see them in person and liked them. The girls that own the shop have such cool items in it as well as a great cup of coffee!

Libba Lemon said...

matt looks like college in this pic. tell him i say he is aging beautifully.

i miss you honey bun! i want my face in a picture with you and matt and lauren SOON!