Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sleepy

This weekend has been utterly unrestful but a lot of fun.

Friday night all of us worked late to get a house under contract and when it finally did we had drinks to celebrate. Later that night I went to a lingerie/slumber party for Katie, who got married on Saturday. She was absolutely radiant -- a really beautiful bride. The setting, the back yard of her family's lake house, was gorgeous too.



That night we went to Carrie and Jacob's to watch the UFC fight, although I actually watched very little of it (for the first two hours I was avoiding looking at the television, and I fell asleep for the last hour). I got less sleep Friday and Saturday nights combined than I usually try to get in one normal night (eight). I don't even know the last time I went to bed around 2 a.m. two nights in a row.

This morning all I wanted to do was sleep in but I had to help with nursery for early church. I survived, although I couldn't form words very well and kept dropping things (not babies), and then I slept all afternoon.

I don't know when I became such a sleep wimp. All through college I averaged maybe five or six hours of sleep a night and just thought of myself as someone who was able to push through the exhaustion.

Even the year after college, when I was working in Dunn, I remember one time when Lib came to spend the night with me and she and Matt and I stayed up until 4 a.m. talking, and then I woke up two hours later and went to work and was fine. I don't think I could do that now. Or if I did, it would take me a week to recover.

Nevertheless, I fight bedtime every night, just like I did when I was 8. If I'm in the middle of something, it kills me to just drop it and go to bed. I'd much rather make some cookies and coffee and stay up until it's finished.

In fact, this may sound strange, but going to sleep in accordance with someone else's schedule is one of the hardest things about married life for me. I'm still not used to it. But I am a big believer in going to bed at the same time, so we do.

1 comment:

Libba Lemon said...

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about that night! I haven't seen 4 am in years. (However, I've seen plenty of 5 am since starting school, unfortunately.)

We accidentally pulled a 5 hrs of sleep-night last night. We always have intentions of starting the week with 7-8. Oh well.

So glad y'all had a fun weekend!