Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Deflated

A couple of days ago I was enjoying my customary late-afternoon candy bar and Coke when I noticed words inside my Baby Ruth wrapper. I carefully unwrapped it and read "Congratulations! You're a Third Prize Winner! You just won two (2) NESTLE singles candy bars." I exchanged a high-five with Melissa and was happy.

Yesterday I read the fine print for instructions on collecting my two free candy bars and what did it say but "Prize claims must be received by 5/10/07."

I bought and ate this candy bar on 7/15/07, so now I'm stuck with an ineligible winning wrapper as well as the knowledge that I bought and ate a Baby Ruth that was at least two months old.

Should I try to redeem my prize anyway? It's kind of a pain -- I have to make a copy of the wrapper and mail that, plus an index card with my contact info on it, to an address in Minnesota. (I miss the days when you could look under the bottle cap to find that you'd won a free Coke, then use the cap as payment for your next one.)

I feel that I should include a letter, something Libba Lemonesque, requesting maybe three or four free candy bars instead of just two since the original one was on the old side. However, I don't have a receipt proving when I bought it because it cost only 48 cents. Which brings up another point: The stamp I'll have to use costs almost as much as another Baby Ruth, effectively cutting my winnings in half.

Does anyone have advice? I'm not throwing away the wrapper yet.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

If you bring it to me to mail, I'll mail it from work and it won't cost you anything. I'd still include a letter saying when you bought it if it was me. But it might just be too much work for you. Blockbuster still has free rentals under bottlecaps and we use them all the time - even years old ones!

Libba Lemon said...

You should DEFINITELY write a letter! Especially considering that the old candy bar had nuts in it. Nuts always provide that extra something in a persuasive letter.

On another note, I want to swap blogs for a day sometime soon. I think it would be fun for us to each write about the other for that person's friends to read!