Sunday, July 15, 2007

Better than 'Transformers'

At 4 p.m. today I thought my options for the evening were: a) clean the house and do laundry, b) force one long run for the week, or c) see the Transformers movie with Matt, his brothers and whoever else.

I wasn't in the mood to clean, the heat had made me too lethargic to want to run, and I dislike movie theaters because they're cold and overpriced. Also, I have no interest in Transformers.

So it was wonderful timing when one of my very best friends, Melissa, called to ask if I could help her with wedding invitations. (She's getting married in August.) I got to skip cleaning, running and the movie plus spend hours one-on-one with one of the world's absolute gems.

It wasn't all joyful. We're both uncrafty and technology-averse, and it took us a while to figure out how to format and print the invitations. We had to give up on my home printer and set up shop with the office printer, which was fine because the office has a stash of Reese's Pieces. Or had. Once we figured out the printer there were ribbons to be tied. But the finished product was amazing.

I'm really excited about her wedding. The ceremony will be held in a garden and followed with an evening dessert reception. Black and ivory, tiki candles, a chocolate fountain ... it's going to be gorgeous and elegant and delicious.

Even though we've been friends since high school, we weren't in very good touch when she got married the first time, about seven years ago. I attended that wedding but I wasn't a bridesmaid and I haven't dropped it since, so this time I get to stand up there with her sister and her daughter. I know she'll be so glad to have me shut up about that.

I'm going to go start some laundry.

I love you, Mel!

1 comment:

Libba Lemon said...

Yay for Melissa, the best girl ever! I'm so excited that you got the invitations done!

PLEASE let me know if, when, where she registers. What garden will it be at? I love the dessert reception plan!