Friday, June 15, 2007

Golf and giving

Yesterday was the local United Way's annual golf tournament. Our company had two teams. It was a fun day with nice weather, good free food and drinks and lots of networking. I didn't play, just volunteered. Most of my time was spent taking pictures and camping out at one of the holes, where I was to be the official witness if anyone hit a hole in one (no one did).

Charities are always grateful for volunteers, but from my experience, what they really need is your money. If you don't give regularly to a worthy cause -- whether it's your church, a local nonprofit or a friend in need -- you are missing out.

I'm a tightwad at heart, but making a commitment to give generously is one of the best life lessons I have learned. Since loosening my grip on my paycheck I have never had to scramble for food, shelter, clothing, or any other necessity. (That's what I was worried about, right? Surely I wouldn't have withheld donations to a literacy program just to support my addiction to 7 For All Mankind jeans.)

Ironically, I worry much less about money than I did in my stingy days. In fact, my entire financial perspective has started to shift, but that's a topic for another day.

So I would like to challenge you to start setting aside some amount of money for charity if you don't already. Maybe for the next month you could order water every time you eat out and donate the amount you save. Depending on how often you eat out, that could easily add up to $25 or more in a month.

Besides, water is good for you.





No comments: