Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Spiders

This is disgusting. Last night I was working on a query letter for my writing class when Matt said I had to come see this huge spider on our floor. He wanted me to keep tabs on it while he got the spider spray so it wouldn't escape. Right before he pulled the trigger he said, "That sure is a fat spider. I hope it's not ..." Then he sprayed it and out spewed a zillion baby spiders! My stomach is churning just remembering it. Thank goodness they weren't ready to be hatched so they died almost as soon as they popped out (also, they were under spider spray attack). We vacuumed the remains.

That reminded me of when the same thing happened but on a much grosser level. When I was in high school I was in the middle of a tennis match when the girl I was playing accidentally stepped on a hugely pregnant spider and what looked like literally hundreds of baby spiders ran out in all directions. It was really something to see. The matches on both sides of us paused while we all just gawked. Those babies died on their own after a couple of minutes because they weren't ready to be born, but they still covered the court quite impressively.

No comments: