Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Lazy days

I love the week between Christmas and New Year's. All my life it has been an extension of Christmas because it's when we go to Atlanta to celebrate with Dad's side of the family. It's also where Amanda has celebrated every one of her birthdays, which has always worked out well for her -- double gifts!

I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little apprehensive about the drive tomorrow, but the kids tend to surprise me with how well they do in the car. And having Matt along makes all the difference. I have friends who drive two or three kids halfway across the country to visit family while their husbands are deployed, and my hat's off to them. I might be able to pull it off, but I'm glad I don't have to.

For now, Claire's happy talking and reading for several hours at a time. Evan is more restless but will probably doze a lot. We don't have a DVD player in the car but we'll have my laptop and we're going to bring our one kids' DVD, "Happy Feet," which RonRon gave Claire for Christmas -- just in case -- plus plenty of snacks and small toys to offer up when antsiness starts to kick in.

This is completely unrelated but I just remembered the funniest thing Riley said and I have to post it so it's not forgotten. Her family was on the way to a dinner to celebrate Carrie's sister's birthday and while they were riding in the car they had this conversation:

Riley: Where are we going to eat?
Jacob: Outback. (As in Outback Steakhouse.)
Riley: YAY!!!
Riley: Of what building?

No comments: