Thursday, March 18, 2010

On my own-ish

Matt left for a few days at the beach with a group of his college friends this afternoon, and I had this lovely, ambitious to-do list ready for tonight. I really miss Matt when he's gone -- I'm only a little embarrassed to admit I still get teary right before he walks out the door for an overnight trip -- but I do love my alone time too.

Usually when I'm on my own ("my own" meaning Claire's asleep) I stay up half the night, but right now I can hardly hold my eyes open. I did make and store about 10 pounds of baby food, and I wrapped up a new real estate listing -- a commercial property of Granny and Granddaddy's. And I washed and dried (but did not fold) two loads of laundry. Other than that, not a lot to show for myself this evening. Oh, I got on Facebook. That's always productive.

I cooked two grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. In between them I turned off the burner (to cool off a little, because I don't like my grilled cheeses to cook too fast). When I started cooking the second sandwich I kept flipping it and wondering why it was taking so long. After about 10 minutes I realized it was because I'd forgotten to turn the burner back on. Oh where oh where oh where oh where oh where ... is my brain?

Yesterday I went to the recycling center for coupons and I came home with a whole box of books someone had set out for the taking! It was the most eclectic collection ever. Among the books: an unauthorized biography of Taylor Hanson; a Sweet Valley Twins book; a Nancy Drew book; a 1953 copy of "The Bobbsey Twins in the Country"; a couple of Trixie Belden mysteries from the 1950s; several old books about America and the White House (one, "Presidents of the U.S.A.," ends with Lyndon B. Johnson); and a children's Bible that was published in 1922 and given as a gift for Christmas 1937.

The box also included a collection of stories creatively titled "365 Bedtime Stories" that's now out of print and apparently somewhat rare. I want to research whether this might be worth anything. Probably not, but you never know. There was also a copy of "We Came in Peace," first printing (1969). Such fun finds!

I think I really will go to bed now. Maybe I'll finish last Sunday's newspaper in bed so I can check one more thing off my list.

Tomorrow Claire and I are heading west (?) for an extended playdate/slumber party with Sallie and Maegan, whose husbands are also at the beach, and their four combined kids. Can't wait for some girl time with two of my favorites!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those sound like great books. Next time, I'm over I would like to see them. Isn't it sad that people trash their treasures?

Anonymous said...

have fun!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. claire is the cutest. i cannot get over it. she is the star on PiP today: http://preservationinpink.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/cutest-flamingo-fa/ thanks for the picture!!