Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Skyrockets in flight

First of all, thank you to everyone who has already wished me a happy birthday! Usually my birthdays are really low-key (I am so bad about remembering and celebrating other people's that I could not in good conscience make a big deal about my own). Thank you all for the well wishes via calls and voicemails, emails and e-cards, snail mail, text messages, Facebook posts, blog comments, and flowers and cards and gifts greeting me on my desk. I am feeling very loved today!

Matt and I both slept in a little this morning and then lingered over coffee and the Sunday newspaper (me, finally) and fantasy football stuff (him). Then he went to work and I scrubbed down the house, which I know sounds like a pitiful way to kick off a birthday, but I loved it. Now everything is clean and delicious-smelling. I even hung up some pictures I'd never gotten around to, did my post-Labor Day clothes switch-out and vacuumed the porch (you read that right. It's a brilliant idea, one I don't know why I'd never had before).

The Skyrockets
Last night was our fantasy football draft. I am not gonna lie, I was really nervous. I had butterflies in my stomach before we started and warned each of the guys individually beforehand not to laugh at me if I made a stupid pick. Thankfully, it was much easier than I expected.

Basically, I printed out a cheat sheet, which divided up all the players by position and then ranked them. And then I read this love/hate article, which was one guy's opinion on which players were under- or over-rated. I went through the cheat sheet and highlighted his loves and hates and claimed them as my own (his gut feelings were obviously more well-reasoned and reliable than mine).

Next, Matt "helped me" figure out what general order I should pick my players in (by position), and about how many of each position made sense after filling my starting lineup. For example, I didn't know backup running backs were so much more important than backup quarterbacks. I felt guilty that he helped me with this but he swore he wasn't doing anything he hadn't done for Stephen last year. (Plus I heard Jacob going over the same thing with Chad right before the draft last night.)

Then, during the draft, I basically picked the best available player for whatever position I needed that round, but I skipped anyone on the hate list and occasionally reached for someone on the love list. It went well and I ended up with a good team, until they all get hurt or arrested, anyway.

3 comments:

Libba Lemon said...

Hey babe, sorry for the flaky message! Can't wait to celebrate with you TOMORROW!!

Ally said...

Yeah for the good birthday! I hope you enjoy the rest of your big day:)

Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! :)