Thursday, November 1, 2007

Motion to adjourn

In general I think there are too many committees in the world. Can I get an amen from some of the Southern Baptists out there? And until recently, when I learned to say no, I seemed to constantly get guilted into being on these terrible ones that usually involved planning some fundraiser or another -- not my thing.

Typically, the meetings would go on for about 10 times as long as I thought necessary, with little to nothing being accomplished. Everyone else always seemed to have way too much time on their hands (because seriously, who volunteers for these things?). I would sit there wishing for my cell phone to ring so I'd have an excuse to walk out -- and when I'm wishing for my cell phone to ring, you know it's bad.

(For your viewing pleasure, here's me dressed up for a spelling-bee committee I was on last year. Great cause, by the way.)


But I now find myself on two committees that I really like. One, with United Way, was formed to deal with a couple of agencies that violated our fundraising-blackout period last month, and to do so while avoiding a public-relations nightmare. The other, with the Realtors association, considers accusations of Realtor misconduct and determines whether they have enough merit to be brought before the disciplinary board.

You might be thinking that I just like being in a position to punish misbehavers, but that's not it. Most everything that goes on in these meetings is really interesting to me. I much prefer them to those spent pondering decorations and planning menus and listing potential sponsors. Just shoot me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know you find these meetings more interesting than other type of meetings. I also understand you really do not like to disperse punishment. Still I believe,when your children misbehave and you decide that spanking is the best punishment, you are not going to say, "This is going to hurt me more than it does you!"
All joking aside I can see why these two committees would interest you. They could be both a challenge and an opportunity to make a difference.