Sunday, November 4, 2007

Missing rubber feet and a belated, unrelated story

I don't know if it's because I keep dropping it or what, but in the past two weeks two of the little rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop have fallen off. Hang on -- I just checked and now three are gone! I have no idea when that happened.

I never noticed those things until they went missing. Without them the computer rocks back and forth as I type. It's like a table or chair with one leg that's slightly shorter than the rest. I've been putting coasters underneath it to compensate, but now I'll probably just remove the lone remaining foot.

In other news -- I meant to write about this last week, while it was still relevant -- our household had a minor situation on Halloween. Around 6 that evening I realized that somehow I had forgotten to buy candy.

We had nothing in the pantry suitable for trick-or-treaters. I was forced to put together a makeshift "candy" bowl composed of cheese crackers, 100-calorie Oreo snacks, peanuts leftover from our flight home from Phoenix and two random bags of M&M's that Mom gave me at some point.

The whole thing reminded me of a story Drew had told us the day before, about a couple of Halloweens ago when they had a little girl come to their door and rifle through their candy bowl for a few minutes before rejecting everything they had to offer. I did not want that to happen.

Matt had a late meeting, so I left him a message asking him to bring home some candy from work. However, he had already left the office by the time he got the message, at which point he called back to suggest we just turn out the lights so no one else would come to our door (we'd already had two rounds of kids).

But I didn't want to discourage trick-or-treaters, and he didn't want to disappoint them, so he stopped by the grocery store and bought candy. Of course, we knew that would probably signal the universe to not send any more kids to our house, and we were right.

No comments: