Wednesday, October 31, 2007

So close, yet so far away

Last night after another great track workout with Kaitlin I hurried home to shower and then Matt and I ran out the door to Subway before Bible study.

I had just ordered my usual (a six-inch veggie on white with a tiny bit of lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, extra pickles, extra American cheese, extra mayonnaise and mustard, extra salt and pepper) and just as they were starting to work on Matt's he began patting his pockets and then whispered to me, "Uh, I don't have my wallet." Which was not good news because I didn't have my purse because I assumed he had his wallet. That's what you get for assuming.

Our subs looked SO delicious and I was SO hungry but we had to tell the people behind the counter, "We're really sorry but we have to leave because we just realized we don't have any money!" They just shrugged and said, "It happens," and I wanted to cry because, as I said, I was SO hungry.

(Recently I ran across the Jack Kererouac quote "I'm hungry, I'm starving, let's eat right now!" and Matt said I should make it one of my weekly blog quotes. Maybe I will. I definitely say that at least once a day.)

I wanted to make a general announcement to everyone in the restaurant that we accidentally had no money and would really appreciate a $10 donation from someone. Then I considered walking through Food Lion, which is right next door, where I was sure to run into someone I knew who would take pity and buy us dinner. I even thought about yelling into the parking lot, "Jennifer Kirby here! If you know me, can I please borrow some money?"

Instead we went back to our car and emptied out the change tray. There was only about $2 total so we went home to get money. About that time we realized that we should have asked the Subway people to hold our subs for us while we ran home to get cash, but since we didn't they'd probably already thrown the subs away.

We were too embarrassed to return and ask them to remake the subs, so after getting Matt's wallet we went to the other nearby Subway instead and finally got to eat.

While we were there Delilah was on and she played an awful Michael W. Smith song that Matt and I hadn't heard for years. I used to have that tape about 15 years ago and both of us still knew all the words. How does that happen?

We were only five minutes late to Bible study, which for us is right on time.

No comments: