Saturday, September 29, 2007

One of those days

Some days I'm such a complete klutz I just want to shake my head and go back to bed. Such as yesterday.

First, I grabbed my laptop case from the counter and slung it across my shoulder on my way out the door. I thought it was all zipped up. Wrong. The laptop went flying. Two little gray pieces fell out of it and there's a new dent in the bottom. (I can't figure out where the pieces belong or what purpose they served, but the computer seems to be working fine.)

Immediately after that, I was walking out the door carefully balancing the laptop, the pieces that had fallen out of it, my purse, a bunch of books for Mom, and a dish to return to Granny. Everything was stacked precariously, but I was handling it, until I got to the bottom of the garage stairs, where unbeknownst to me Matt had set his car's third-row seats. For the second time in five minutes, things flew. Including me. It was not yet 8 a.m.

I finally made it to my car, to Mom's house, and then to our favorite coffee place. So far so good. An hour later I dropped her off, got back in my car, headed to work, and promptly dumped my to-go cup of coffee all over the computer pieces. The cup holder was not the best place to have left them.

I got to the office with no major mishaps and things went well for several hours. Then, in the afternoon, I got behind the wheel again and experienced three near-disasters one right after another.:

1. A car didn't check its blind spot and almost hit me changing lanes (note: not my fault).

2. Then I turned the wrong way onto a one-way street. (The one-way street that I WORK on. That I drive on EVERY DAY. That I BERATE other drivers for driving the wrong way on.)

3. Then another car and mine almost backed into each other -- I was on the phone and luckily just happened to look behind me to the left, and there it was, six inches away from me. (When I was telling this story to Matt, he stopped me here and said, "Hang on. You JUST HAPPENED to look behind you as you were backing up?")

And now I come to the worst part of the whole story. When I didn't back into the car my first reaction was to thank God, because that would have been such a pain in the butt. But in the next breath I realized I was the tiniest bit disappointed because the incident would have made for much better blogging material if the other car and mine had made contact.

I think I have a sickness.

No comments: