Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Flashback

I shamelessly stole this prompt from another blogger. I love lists, and apparently I love talking about myself, so this probably is not the last post of this sort either.

My first decade

Age 1: I gain fame for sleeping with my butt in the air.

Age 2: My friend Taryn and I rock the Harris Teeter shopping carts while Mom shops for groceries. We pretend to be like my great-Grandma McKenzie (shopping cart = wheelchair). We each get a cookie from the Harris Teeter bakery.

Age 3: My parents and I spend the summer at a camp in Georgia, where Dad is a camp counselor and Mom is the camp nurse. Granny and Granddaddy send me a care package that includes Big League Chew bubble gum (I think this is my earliest memory).

Age 4: I announce that my favorite colors are silver, gold, black and "shiny."

Age 5: I am voted kindergarten class princess and I cry in front of everyone because I don't know what that entails.

Age 6: There's a fire drill at school and I go back and forth from my desk to the door, torn between saving my favorite Cabbage Patch Kid eraser and obeying the teacher's instructions to leave everything and line up. The decision feels very important even though I know it's just a drill. I end up taking the eraser with me.

Age 7: My parents don't let me join Brownies. I didn't really want to anyway.

Age 8: I'm in my dad's third-grade class. There's a three-way tie to be first to sign Mr. Loyd's legendary Declaration of Independence, so we draw names out of a hat. I win.

Age 9: I get called out for having two best friend necklaces -- one I share with my best friend at school, the other I share with my best friend from church. Both girls stop speaking to me temporarily.

Age 10: My three best friends and I form a club in which we speak gibberish, publish a covert gossip magazine that's distributed throughout the fifth grade, and have "flower power" code names. Mine is Azalea Root Weed.

3 comments:

Libba Lemon said...

this is fun! how do you find time to read so many blogs!?

Jennifer Kirby said...

I don't read any of these regularly, but people send me links to different ones all the time. There are a lot of good blogs and writers out there.

Anonymous said...

I had to check your comments to see if Mom had broken down and written one. Anyway, these brought back good memories for me. I'd have to fudge a little to come up with accurate events for a couple of my early years. Hope to see more of these. My class did group editing for the first time today and I told them you had been an editor and actually got paid for fixing people's mistakes (over-simplification).
Love, Dad