Monday, June 18, 2007

Rolling, rolling, rolling ...

Finally, things are moving on our new house! It's been going slowly, which is fine -- I understand that we don't take priority over "real" clients. ("The cobbler's children have no shoes," Mom told me the other day. She's been there.)

But today the crawlspace was dug out and tomorrow they'll start on the footers. By next Monday they should be starting the foundation. Exciting! This burst of activity meant Matt and I had to sit down and make a final decision on which brick, vinyl and shingles to use so they could be ordered. We still need to come to agreement about the front door and the windows on the front of the house.

When it comes to what we don't want we're mostly united. Together we oppose pink brick, pinestraw yards, pocket doors and gold-toned fixtures. But when we have to make a final decision about, say, whether to have grills in the windows, one of us is just going to have to give in.

The lot-clearing guys did a good job leaving most of the trees in our back and side yards. As much as I want privacy I would prefer to not have a fence. We're planning to supplement the existing trees with some additional ones, and hopefully that will be sufficient. Although there are a lot of trees there now, most of them are young pines. I want to add something that will bloom.

Lauren, blog!

2 comments:

Libba Lemon said...

So, so exciting! I really want to see the lot before the house is up so I can remember what it looked like.

It's so fun that you get to pick everything out as you go!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on starting your house. Let the record show that I read both of my daughters' blogs at least occasionally-- so did Mom!
Dad