Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Library love

On Saturday Matt and I will be leaving for a week at the Outer Banks. Our daily schedule will consist of lying on the beach, reading and dozing from the time we wake up until the sun sets. That requires a lot of good reading material, so we are going to stock up at the library this afternoon. If you love to read but you don't take advantage of your local library, you're probably wasting a lot of money.

Even though I know this, and I do use the library a lot, there are countless books that I love and read over and over and just have to own. I almost never pay full price for them, though. I find them at yard sales and thrift stores and in my parents' garage and usually get them for between a dime and 50 cents each. Mom also has a list of my favorite authors and which of their books I don't yet own and whenever she runs across one of them on the cheap she picks it up for me.

Another good place for free reads is the magazine bin at the recycling center (credit Amanda with this idea). If you can get over the odd looks, or just go at odd hours, it's a great resource for magazines you don't subscribe to and the ultimate form of recycling.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I usually go to the dump on Sundays. Last Sunday, for example, I got two Southern Livings, four Martha Stewart Livings, and three Oprahs. In the store, that would have cost me almost $30!! Holy cow.